Friday, June 12, 2009

Crafting like crazy!

I have been a crazy sewing fiend these last few weeks! I don't know what got into me but I just had this incredible urge to create. I guess that's a good thing. Unfortunately, it means that Ryan had to put up with the sewing machine on the breakfast table for a while.


I tend to take over the living room as well, whenever I get on one of these creative binges.


On the positive side, the lane chest certainly has an abundance of cute on it now! :)


I followed a clothing pattern for the first time recently and here's the result. (Simplicity Pattern #2931 if you're interested.) I'm very happy with it. The fabric was a $2/yard bargain from the Jo-Ann's clearance isle. I figured that it would be less frustrating if I made a mistake on $2/yard fabric than on $4-6/yard fabric. But I didn't mess up. Hooray! It's a really comfy, billowy shirt--my favorite type because it's more kind to your figure after a big meal than some little tight thing would be. ;)

As you can see, I made another critter from the free patterns at Revoluzzza and my little monster got a bunny for a friend.


After that I was just smacked by inspiration (it snuck up and ambushed me!) and drew out this doll pattern.


The process of translating a 2-D drawing into a 3-D fabric doll was really fun. I think it turned out rather well, too. I think I'll name her Nelly.


This is the original one. I've since made a second one that I gave to Tessa. I wanted to see how sturdy a toy it was and Tessa obliged by immediately throwing it around and whacking everything in sight with it. :)

Last but not least, I used a pattern mailed to me by Aunt Linda. The original pattern was for this funky little oddly shaped critter. I gave it a more symmetrical look so that it could sit on the lane chest without falling over (the, um, backside was extremely asymmetrical). I also decided to make it a butterfly and gave her crocheted legs and antenna with some yarn that I've had since high school. Yes, I own that I'm a pack rat...but sometimes it comes in handy.


I think this butterfly is so adorable. The pattern was easy and quick. Even with the extras of arms and wings, etc. I was able to finish it in an hour or so. Ryan is going to laugh when he sees this. Thank you for the pattern, Aunt Linda!

Well, that was a lot of fun--and surprising Ryan with my latest cute creation at the end of the day was great!--but I think I'll take a break and let the living room be a living room again...at least for a little while. Oh! Who am I kidding? I'll probably unpack the sewing machine again next week! I love creating and it makes me feel good to take advantage of my talent. God blesses so many people in so many ways. I am very thankful for the artistic mind that I received.

Now if I could just find a way to be creative without burying the house in fabric, straight pins and thread, life would be just peachy.

2 comments:

Lulu said...

Wow, you did go on a frenzy! All of them are cute, cute. I'm glad you could take the pattern and modify it to your needs. How crafty you are.
Aunt Linda

Dianna said...

wow you have done so much, your living room looks like my dinning room. Jeff puts up with all my fabrick all over the dinning room.

Dianna